Please note this course has a NEW venue. The event will now be held at Coin Street Neighbourhood Centre, 108 Stamford St, Lambeth, London SE1 9NH. Please see directions and more information relating to the venue below.
Exploring the key structural, governance and functional issues facing charities, this one-day training course will provide you with an overview of charities, the way they work, and the context in which they carry out their activities. With sessions covering a range of issues from governance to income generation to working relationships, you will leave with a good understanding of charity operation as well as advancing your own personal knowledge and development.
11 October 2017
10.00AM - 10.25AMWelcome, introduction, coffee and networkingWelcome, introduction, coffee and networking
10.25AM - 10.30AMIntroductionsIntroductions
10.30AM - 11.30AMGovernance and board/staff relationshipsSession one – Governance and ownership
• Charitable structure – Unincorporated, CLG, CIOs etc • Membership structures • Trustees/boards • Elections/appointments • The role of the Charity Commission
Session two – Board/staff relationships
• Role of Chief Executive • Board committees/staff involvement • Relationships • Conflict
11.30AM - 11.45AMNetworking and refreshment breakNetworking and refreshment break
11.45AM - 1.00PMFinances and income generationSession three – Finances
• The SORP • Unrestricted/restricted/designated/endowment funds • Reserves and reserves policies • Not for profit but not for loss either (budgeting and cost management) • VAT
Session four – Income generation
• Services • Sales • Fundraising • Donations • Legacies
1.00PM - 1.45PMLunchLunch
1.45PM - 2.45PMMarketing and employment lawQuick quiz – revising material so far S
Session five – Marketing and communications
• Marketing strategy and segmentation • The four Ps (product, pricing, promotion and place) • Reputation management • All things digital
Session six – Volunteering and employment law
• What’s different between volunteers and employees • Interns and work experience • How much should staff be paid?
2.45PM - 3.00PMNetworking and refreshment breakNetworking and refreshment break
3.00PM - 4.00PMLobbying and advocacySession seven – Lobbying and advocacy
• Overview of lobbying act • Purpose of lobbying • Lobbying techniques and getting your needs across
Robin Osterley is Chief Executive of the Charity Retail Association, the UK’s only trade organisation representing the interests of charity shops and their parent charities. He has extensive experience in membership associations, having previously spent 16 years as Chief Executive of Making Music, the UK’s leading association for amateur musical organisations, as well as a short time as Chief Executive of sports umbrella Supporters Direct. Alongside this management experience Robin has a longstanding background in lobbying and advocacy work, and he has been a representative on numerous Government and industry forums including the Music Business Forum and the board of ACEVO. He was also, with others, responsible for setting up the sector skills council for the creative and cultural industries, CCSkills.
A very concise and informed overview all trustees or charities need to know. Should be an induction for all new trustees. A very interesting and engaging presentation on potentially dry subject
Excellent foundation for "newbies" to the charity world. Professionally presented and pitched appropriately to audience.
Invaluable overview on the workings of charities
Very engaging experience due to the content and speaker
Excellent - very comprehensive and thoroughly worth while
Governance & Leadership subscriber - £195
Standard rate - £235
Non-charity Governance & Leadership subscriber- £300
For group bookings email [email protected] or call 020 7819 1208