The Charity Commission is assessing concerns raised by the former Oxfam GB chief executive in a recent television interview about alleged racism, sexism and antisemitism at the organisation.
In an interview with Channel 4 News last Friday, Halima Begum discussed her employment tribunal claim against Oxfam, which she told Civil Society was filed earlier this month.
Speaking to presenter Cathy Newman, Begum, who was “forced to resign” from Oxfam in December, said she had been subject to racism and sexism in her last two board meetings.
Begum told Newman that she was “humiliated” by former Oxfam chair Charles Gurassa, against whom she raised a grievance, and forced out after being subject to a “witch hunt”.
She also told the broadcaster that a male senior team member at Oxfam had made offensive remarks about the female leadership team.
When asked about allegations of antisemitism at the charity, Begum said: “It always felt as though we were working disproportionately over the crisis in Gaza.
“It was very hard to hold onto neutrality and impartiality and I say that as a Muslim woman.”
The commission told Civil Society that it is assessing concerns raised about Oxfam during the interview to decide if new regulatory issues emerge.
“This will inform any regulatory response,” said a spokesperson for the commission, which has not opened a formal investigation.
An Oxfam spokesperson told Civil Society: “These claims represent one individual’s perspective and are strongly disputed by Oxfam GB.
“To date we still have not received Dr Begum’s employment tribunal claim.”
The charity commissioned a review of its board governance processes last month, led by senior lawyer Rebecca Tuck.
“We have a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination, harassment and abuse of power in all areas of our work, including racism, sexism and antisemitism,” Oxfam’s spokesperson added.
Dispute with Oxfam chair
Begum, appointed CEO in December 2023, left Oxfam at the end of last year after a review found serious issues in her leadership and decision-making.
Since then, Begum has spoken out against the accusations, supported by Oxfam trustee Balwant Singh, who criticised her “brutal” ousting from the charity and resigned in protest.
Speaking to Channel 4, Begum alleged that Gurassa, who left the charity weeks before her departure, had “humiliated her” while giving a speech to board participants at an Oxfam dinner.
She said that Gurassa was invited to a meeting, for which he was asked to bring along Begum, but laughed and said it would be like taking his child to work.
The former CEO said: “I’m a 53-year-old woman, I’m certainly not his child – I felt humiliated. It was so patronising and demeaning that I don’t think we can dismiss something like that as a joke.”
A spokesperson for Gurassa said: “These allegations are completely spurious.
“The Oxfam board’s unanimous decision to dismiss Halima Begum was taken some weeks after Mr Gurassa had completed his term of office and was made following a large number of complaints about her from across the organisation over an extended period.”
Accusations against Begum
In December, Oxfam’s board concluded that Begum should stand down after a review commissioned by trustees into her leadership.
The review, conducted by workplace problem-solving company Howlett Brown, followed a letter signed by 69 staff members petitioning Oxfam to investigate the charity’s senior leadership team, including Begum.
Seen by Civil Society, the letter was also signed by 39 former employees who left in 2025 either as part of the Oxfam restructure or in part due to leadership concerns.
Widespread animosity was reported at the charity after 140 staff members were made redundant during Begum’s tenure as part of a bid to tackle a second consecutive annual operating deficit of £20m.
When asked about this by Newman, Begum said: “I was the only person reviewed and investigated as a result of that letter despite the fact that other senior members were named in that letter, particularly a white female colleague.”
Begum also claimed that she was “set up” by the review into her conduct, which she said was predetermined to see her out of the charity.
She said there was no “natural justice” in Howlett Brown’s review since the report findings were not shared with her.
“I was forced to resign on 14 December because the board did not give me the opportunity to respond to the findings,” Begum told C4 News.
“The very public nature of this fallout has been very hard to bear, being accused of all sorts and having no chance to reply or rebut any of these allegations; it’s been devastating.”