Charities sever ties with Max Clifford after guilty verdict

29 Apr 2014 News

Shooting Star Chase and the Woking and Sam Beare Hospices have said that Max Clifford will no longer be acting as a patron for them after a jury found him guilty of eight charges of indecent assault.

Max Clifford (image credit: Howard Lake)

Shooting Star Chase and the Woking and Sam Beare Hospices have said that Max Clifford will no longer be acting as a patron for them after a jury found him guilty of eight charges of indecent assault.

Clifford was found not guilty of two other indecent assault charges and the jury could not reach a verdict on the eleventh. He will be sentenced on Friday.

He had been a patron of Shooting Star Chase since 2011 and prior to this was a supporter of the Chase hospice before it merged with Shooting Star.

In a statement the charity said: “In light of Mr Clifford being found guilty of indecent assault, Shooting Star Chase can confirm that Mr Clifford is no longer a patron of the charity.”

The charity said none of its patrons have unsupervised access to children or young people at its hospices.

Nigel Harding, chief executive of Woking and Sam Beare Hospices, said the charity has “noted the decision of the court and will be informing Mr Clifford that we no longer wish to act as a patron for the charity”.

Clifford’s lawyers have advised him not to make any comment at this time.

He was arrested as part of the Operation Yewtree investigation that was launched following the Jimmy Savile revelations and is the first person to be convicted of any offence by it. 

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Read our policy here.