Charities merge in hope that more funds will go to beneficiaries

26 Jul 2023 News

Jerwood Foundation and Jerwood Charity, which belong to the same family of philanthropic organisations, are merging to streamline their services. 
The income for the merged organisation is likely to be between £1.5m and £2m, according to a charity spokesperson. 

“It is hoped that more of the income will be going to beneficiaries. This is part of the review process that the trustees are looking at,” they said. 

94% of Jerwood Charity’s expenditure on charitable activities

According to Jerwood Charity's financial accounts ending December 2022, its income was £1.15m and expenditure £2.29m. 

Some 94% of its expenditure was spent on charitable activities with the remaining 6% used for gaining funds.  

Jerwood Foundation, despite being in operation since 1977 in Jersey, was only registered with the Charity Commission last year after it was found that the majority of its beneficiaries are in the UK. Therefore, its financial accounts are not available.

‘Streamlined Jerwood organisation’

There is currently a review in process to determine whether there will be redundancies due to the merger. 

A spokesperson for Jerwood Foundation said: “Some of the team at Jerwood Arts have recently moved on to new roles at other organisations.”

Lara Wardle, executive director of the Jerwood Foundation, said: “Our vision is for a streamlined Jerwood organisation, which is relevant and receptive to the contemporary funding landscape. We will continue to support, nurture and reward excellence and dedication in the arts in the UK and maintain our commitment to early-career artists, ensuring John Jerwood’s original philanthropic vision is honoured.”

Kate Danielson has been the consultant to Jerwood Foundation and Jerwood Charity, and is leading a strategic review into the merger. 

For more news, interviews, opinion and analysis about charities and the voluntary sector, sign up to receive the free Civil Society daily news bulletin here.

More on