Internal Audit Manager
Internal Audit Manager
Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer
Hours: Monday to Friday 09:00 until 17:30 (37.5 hours per week)
Remuneration: Circa. £33K
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Cambridge, UK
Camfed is an international non-profit organisation that supports marginalised girls in sub-Saharan Africa to go to school, succeed, and lead. Since 1993, more than 4.4 million children in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Ghana, Tanzania and Malawi have benefitted. Having begun with a core focus on girls’ access to education, Camfed is now a recognised innovator and leader in improving quality of girls’ education and post-school prospects: most recently, learning results from our DFID Girls’ Education Challenge in Tanzania have demonstrated the effectiveness of our programmes. The OECD recently recognised Camfed for best practice in taking development innovation to scale.
The role of Internal Audit Manager is regarded as integral to the organisation’s structure and is responsible for assessing and providing assurance to the Camfed Executive Team and the Board through the Finance and Audit Committee as to the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of internal financial, administrative and operations control throughout Camfed. The role is part of the overall financial control/risk management environment established by the Executive Team and the Board.
To achieve these objectives, the Internal Audit Manager will provide direction and leadership in the areas of Internal Audit throughout Camfed. Specifically, the design and implementation of the internal audit’s programs and controls, covering the areas of: operations systems and processes, financial and accounting systems, investigations, and operations risk assessments.
- Ensuring the internal audit function is at the centre of Camfed’s work.
- Working with Regional Audit and Assurance Manager who is based outside of the UK office to assess risk across the organisation, preparing and updating a comprehensive risk-based audit plan for evaluating the effectiveness of controls in place to manage significant risk exposures, ensure the integrity and reliability of information and financial reporting, safeguard organisation’s assets, and comply with laws and regulations.
- Development and execution of the annual internal audit plan and performing duties necessary to achieve the internal audit objectives and scope.
- Implementation of the audit plan including all office locations and across functional departments to determine performance and compliance with policies, procedures, goals and objectives of Camfed.
- Undertaking a broad range of testing across operational and financial systems and procedures, both planned and ad hoc reviews as required.
- Evaluating the organisation’s system of internal control to ensure that it is functioning as planned and that it is updated as necessary to meet changes in operating conditions. Proactively promote effective internal financial control to mitigate the risk of fraud and error.
- Coordinating the internal audit activities with those of Camfed’s external auditors and interface in respect of risk and assurance analysis.
- Reporting on results of internal audits, key risks, and concerns, incidents of fraud and status of the control environment.
- Production of internal audit reports in line with agreed timescale.
- Reviewing and recording actions taken by management to correct conditions reported by internal audit findings.
- Following up on all pending actions and ensure management actions are implemented.
- Determining, with guidance from the CFO, that actions taken are appropriate for the circumstances or initiate further discussions with appropriate management and staff.
- Anticipating emerging issues and understanding the impact that such issues will have on the organisation.
- Promoting Camfed’s Risk Management Strategy including updating of the risk register.
- Ensuring Camfed’s adherence to the requirements of the UK Anti-Bribery Legislation and any other applicable legislation.
- Managing process for receiving and tracking of daily, weekly and monthly Finance deliverables from all Finance teams, and production of monthly reports to National Directors summarising performance with commentary.
- Line management of one member of staff.
- Strong academic background in Accountancy, Finance, Business or numerical discipline advantageous.
- Professional qualification: including ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CIA or IIA advantageous.
- Eligible to work in the UK.
- Experience of working within an international multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Proven track record of auditing not-for profit organisations.
Skills/Personal Qualities required:
- The ability to work autonomously and run projects to a high standard, whilst managing your time successfully.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels including Board level.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to challenge colleagues while maintaining constructive and cooperative working relationships.
- Deep understanding of internal controls, corporate governance, regulatory compliance, auditing standards and relevant accounting principles.
- Good report-writing and communications skills and ability to approach written and verbal communication at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Willingness to travel overseas for up to 8 weeks per annum (average 1-2 weeks block of travel per trip).
Please send your covering letter and CV as soon as possible to us by clicking the APPLY button: and reference ‘Internal Audit Manager’ by 9am on Monday 4th December 2017.
No agencies or marketing please.
How to apply