Director of Supporter Operations and Database Services
The WWF organisational strategy requires increased growth in our support for WWF’s mission across the key goals (thriving habitats & species, polar & climate, food, fight for our world, growing support) of our strategy. To achieve this growth increased income generation is required to deliver a trajectory to £100m by 2024+ this requires a substantial step change in income and supporter growth.
The Supporter Operations and Database Services function is central to the new Income Generation Strategy. Our supporters are at the very heart of what we do. The Supporter Operations unit focus on engaging and inspiring them to continue their journey with WWF. They handle supporter enquiries, process their donations and share their feedback. Their goal is to build personalised relationships and to do what matters to our supporters. Supporter Operations is comprised of two units: Supporter Care and Income Processing.
Supporter Care is the first port of call for our supporters – through e-mail, live chat, letter, social media and phone. The Income Processing unit are the ‘behind the scenes’ team. They open, sort and distribute the post for the whole organisation and handle all the written queries sent by our supporters. They deal with all financial transactions for our supporters, key donations (cheques, cash and CAF) and handle all our Direct Debit claims as well as Gift Aid claims.
Database Services unit focuses on the strategic development and operational management of the organisation CRM (including Fundraising) databases. This includes various services to support the use of the functionality and data held such as fundraising selections, data management, end user support and training.
MAIN PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THE JOB
This role leads, motivates, manages and develops both the Database Services and Supporter Operations teams. It has direct line management for the Head of Database Services and the Head of Supporter Operations. It is responsible for ensuring that all the people, systems and processes that manage all inbound supporter interactions are effective and engaging and responsible for the people, systems and processes that manage all inbound supporter interactions. It is also responsible for overseeing the strategic development and operational management of the organisation CRM (including Fundraising) databases.
As well as leading and motivating Supporter Operations and Database Services teams you will be an integral part of the WWF-UK leadership team, championing our supporters within the organisation.
This role has 2 direct reports and is responsible for a team of over 22. It is responsible for data quality and supporter care for over 1 million supporters and managing an expenditure budget of over £600k.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Leads, inspires, develops and manages both Database Services and Supporter Operations functions. Direct line management for the Head of Database Services and the Head of Supporter Operations.
- Responsible for providing an effective and inspiring experience for WWF supporters cost-efficiently
- Responsible for the people, systems and processes that manage all inbound supporter interactions
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the WWF supporter information system to support all fundraising and engagement needs
- Responsible for administration and legal compliance of Gift Aid, direct debits and other payment methods
- Oversees the strategic development and operational management of the organisation CRM (including Fundraising) databases which includes services to support the use of the functionality and data held such as fundraising selections, data management, end user support and training
- Works in collaboration with the Director of Individual Marketing and Legacies and Director of Events and Community to ensure outstanding supporter experiences are delivered at all times through the highest quality data and care.
- Managing relationships with partner companies and organisations and maximise all opportunities to support WWF’s communications, fundraising and advocacy objectives.
- To maximise every opportunity to gain competitive advantage and work with the Supporter Income and Engagement Senior Leadership Team to ensure that all profitable market opportunities are maximised in line with the One Team approach to fundraising.
- Member of the WWF-UK Leadership team.
- Deputise for the Executive Director of Supporter Income & Engagement as required.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrable experience in leading supporter operations and database teams to outstanding results
- Significant experience of developing, monitoring and managing specified plans of work
- Extensive experience of managing and allocating financial, human and other resources effectively to meet work plan objectives
- Significant experience of supplier management and of managing contracts
- Experience of leading and managing a significant support function for an organisation with large numbers of individual customers or supporters
- Demonstrated understanding of customer service issues in a non-profit context
- Demonstrated understanding of Customer Relationship Management in a non-profit context
- Strong understanding of database systems and their application to support the business processes of a major organisation
- Demonstrated understanding of legal and compliance issues relating to charity fundraising, Gift Aid, GDPR and direct debit regulations
- Extensive in leading projects with a complex stakeholder landscape, with the presence and ability to develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships at a senior level.
- Proven ability in creating and developing supporter care strategies and translating strategic imperatives into clear deliverables and working priorities.
- Significant experience of managing external service providers in supporter operations and database services to achieve excellent results.
- Ability to be forward thinking, results driven and provide swift problem-solving support.
- Degree or relevant professional qualification.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Skilled at thinking critically to evaluate the success of work plans and then making changes that will enhance future performance
- Ability to inspire, manage, develop and motivate teams to achieving challenging goals through personal leadership in a variety of contexts.
- Stand by decisions, be accountable for actions and empower others to take responsibility to deliver work on time and to budget.
- Excellent organisational, planning and management skills, in particular excellent communication skills and the ability to influence effectively at all levels including trustee boards.
- Strong collaborator who is able to consider issues from a number of perspectives and work effectively cross channels, directorates and functions as well as with external parties.
- Open and honest, able to deliver difficult messages when needed.
- Excellent ability to identify key or underlying issues in complex situations making recommendations as required.
- Highly numerate with strong commercial financial management acumen.
- Champion organisational culture, bring organisational values and behaviours to life through driving and setting clear expectations and standards and being a role model.
- Excellent clarity in both written and oral communication.
- Good at building internal and external relationships and strong networks of influence.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-performing environment.
- Vision, resilience and determination.
- Passionate about the aims of WWF-UK.
WWF-UK’s values are: ‘We are courageous’, ‘We are passionate’, ‘We are collaborative’, and ‘We are guided by science and inspired by the wonders of nature’. These values should be embedded in your work and behaviour, and any associated policies and processes adopted consistently.
This document sets out key responsibilities of the role and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of tasks and duties. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to reasonably vary the responsibilities from time to time depending on the needs of the organisation without changing the level of the role.
Please mention where you saw this advertisement.
How to apply