Fundraising Regulator rejected by Scotland in favour of self-regulation

Fundraising Regulator rejected by Scotland in favour of self-regulation

30 Jun 2016 | Hugh Radojev

The Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations has rejected extending the remit of the Fundraising Regulator to Scotland, instead recommending that greater responsibility for regulating fundraising be placed on charities themselves.


Fundraising Regulator rejected by Scotland in favour of self-regulation

Displaying 1 to 8 (of 1446) | next | last »

 #GivingTuesday launches 2016 campaign with new branding and toolkit

#GivingTuesday, the annual day of giving, has launched with new branding and a new set of resources to help charities take advantage of it.

ICO received 260 complaints about charity fundraising nuisance calls in nine months

In the nine months between August 2015 and March 2016, the Information Commissioner's Office received 260 complaints about charities.

Charities will still have to adhere to EU data protection standards despite Brexit vote

Charities in the UK will have to adhere to data protection standards that are the “equivalent” of new European Union rules, despite last week’s referendum result, according to the ICO and Direct Marketing Association.

American organisation charity: water to launch in the UK

A spokeswoman for American non-profit organisation charity: water has said that the organisation has made an application to the Charity Commission and hopes to be operational in the UK “by the autumn”.

Why shouldn't charities pay celebrities if they consider it a good investment?

» Barnardo's defends plans to pay Made in Chelsea star £3,000 to endorse campaign

Fundraising Regulator confirms it has received first complaint from public

The Fundraising Regulator has received its first complaint from a member of the public, despite the fact that it has still yet to officially launch.

 Charitable foundation to be launched in memory of murdered MP Jo Cox

The family of Jo Cox, the MP killed last week, have announced plans for a foundation to be set up in her name.


The British public’s “ideal charity” would spend 42 per cent of its total income on campaigning, fundraising and on running costs and the remaining 58 per cent on “helping beneficiaries”, according to a new report by nfpSynergy.

Cancer Research UK invests in out-of-town superstores after drop in charity shop profits

Cancer Research UK saw profits from its charity shops fall in the year to March 2016, and has responded by moving away from the high street to out-of-town superstores, the charity said in its annual report.

Displaying 1 to 8 (of 1446) | next | last »


Search the Directory


The Civil Society Directory is a comprehensive and effective resource for finding organisations and people in the sector.

Is your risk register a complete waste of time?

30 Jun 2016

Jonathan Orchard, partner at Sayer Vincent, talks about why charities need to re-think their risk policies....

Free counter fraud guide launched for charities

30 Jun 2016

Charity Finance Group and PKF Littlejohn have launched a new guide to help charities proactively counter...

Philanthropy can be 'disconnected, illegitimate and out of touch', warns JRF chief executive

29 Jun 2016

Julia Unwin, the outgoing chief executive of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, urged philanthropists to...

Charity Commission releases 2016 annual return

29 Jun 2016

The Charity Commission has now made available its latest annual return for charities to fill in.

Slight decrease in trust of charities in Scotland, OSCR finds

29 Jun 2016

The level of trust in charities in Scotland has fallen slightly following negative media reports, according...

Charities risk their 'special status' if they ignore public concerns, warns regulator

28 Jun 2016

Charities must not ignore the public’s concerns over senior pay or overheads, the regulator's director...

Marie Curie appoints digital advisory board

21 Jun 2016

Marie Curie has appointed a digital advisory board to help it build on the successes of its digital transformation...

'Fake' charity app to help migrants at sea has been removed by Apple

21 Jun 2016

An app that claimed to support a charity rescuing refugees in the Mediterranean by enabling users to search...

Facebook looking to make ‘donate’ button available to UK charities this year

23 May 2016

Facebook is looking to roll-out its ‘donate’ button feature to all charity pages at some point this...